British Gas recently launched a new native mobile application on both Android and iOS platforms. The new app allows energy customers to check bills and make payments. British Gas were already using Adobe Analytics across other digital platforms with our support. Tapping into our expertise we were asked to lead on an analytics solution for the new app. A solution to capture and report on all journey and user interactions.
We conducted an initial discovery phase where app journey designs were reviewed, and data requirements gathered from stakeholders. Based on our experience of similar projects we made data capture recommendations that would further improve visibility of user behaviours.
App journeys and sections include login, check bills, set up and make payments. We led on an analytics solution to capture and report on user interactions and behaviours.
- Creation of an Adobe Tags (formerly Launch) profile, and configuration of all necessary extensions.
- Supply of SDK initialisation scripts based on the new Tags property.
- Creation of a tagging specification with required information to implement Adobe Analytics. This included all on-screen events and context data variables for each page/event. It also included instructions on tracking device to web journeys.
- Creation of a new, mobile-enabled Adobe Analytics report suite for the energy mobile application. This included configuring all processing rules to map context data variables to their required eVars, props and list variables which match the existing web report suite where relevant.
- Updated the web report suite to include a mobile app channel as part of marketing channel rules.
- Testing the implementation via a debugging proxy server application to ensure the hits contained the necessary data points, and the values look correct.
- Post-live data validation within Adobe Analytics.
- A best practice Adobe Analytics solution for British Gas’ new native mobile application.
- Mobile-enabled Adobe Analytics report suite for the energy mobile application.
- Updated web report suite to include a mobile app channel as part of marketing channel rules.