Job Title: Junior/Mid-Level Web Developer
Reports to: Senior Web Developer
You will work with alongside a team of developers and other digital enthusiasts on site as well as at client premises within Edinburgh when required (NB. for the first three months the role will be based solely at client premises).
You will be asked to deliver digital solutions, websites, tools and enhancements to existing and new clients’ websites, often using different platforms and tools.
As part of the wider team you will work to gain a broader understanding of techniques, tools, languages and CMS platforms used by Yard as well as all required methodologies.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND OBJECTIVES:
- Creating new web experiences (full site builds, smaller tools, interactive content).
- Testing solutions in browsers and on a wide range of devices.
- Installing server side software updates.
- Debugging any issues raised by clients or internally and coming up with the best solution.
- Meeting development deadlines to ensure requirements are included.
- Staying up-to-date with the latest industry trends, developments, and best-practices.
- Solid understanding and experience of developing with client-side languages, HTML, CSS, JS, XML, including knowledge of libraries and frameworks.
- Well organised, able to prioritise workload in line with tight deadlines and to work effectively under pressure.
- Understanding of responsive web development, progressive enhancement and accessibility.
- Excellent problem solving skills and attention to detail.
- Team player with ability to work closely with others to deliver results.
- The ability to think and reason logically.
- Exceptional communication skills – ability to communicate effectively with anyone in any environment, e.g. able to translate complex / technical issues to meet the audience’s competency level.
- Solid understanding and experience with GIT, Node, NPM, SASS, TaskRunners (Grunt, Gulp), optimisation of CSS/JS.
- Solid understanding and experience developing with server-side languages, preferably PHP.
- Familiarity with Photoshop or other graphic editing software.
- Familiarity with Bootstrap (ideally v4) and graphing JS such as d3/highcharts.
- Regression Testing, Unit Testing and Code Validation.
- Knowledge of user experience.
- Previous experience with enterprise CMS development would be an advantage, e.g. Sitecore, Teamsite.
- Previous experience with Amazon Web Service.
THE YARD GUARANTEE:
We’re strongly committed to providing the highest possible standards of training and mentoring and to delivering amazing career development opportunities – many of our senior roles are filled from within the existing team and we encourage regular reviews and catch ups during the probation period of a new role to ensure everything is running smoothly.
We’re super proud of our ‘Yardie culture’ and staff satisfaction is paramount to us so we work hard to ensure that the workplace is a positive and inspiring place to be, encouraging all our employees to maintain a healthy work-life balance by sticking to a 9-5 working day, where possible.
Team lunches, meetings and brainstorming sessions are commonplace in a bid to encourage team building and a supportive, welcoming office environment and this is all in addition to our contractual benefits
THE NEXT STEP:
If this all sounds right up your street and you’re keen to join in, then send your CV and covering letter over to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why you’d be the perfect fit for us and we’ll be in touch if we’d like to have a chat. No agencies please.